Answer to a question from a reader

I got a job after receiving the R350 Covid-19 social relief grant. What must I do?

The short answer

You are required to inform Sassa of this change.

The whole question

What must I do if I received the social relief grant of R350, but then get a job after I received this grant?

The long answer

Sassa does not say anywhere what you should do if you get a job, but in the case of all the other grants, you are required to inform Sassa of any change in your circumstances, so it is likely to be the same with the Covid grant, though it will only be paid until October 2020.

With the other social grants, Sassa will stop payment if they become aware that a beneficiary no longer qualifies for the grant, and can demand that it is paid back. In applying for the grant you are giving Sassa permission to check if you are receiving any income from other government institutions like UIF, SARS and also banks.  

You can contact Sassa at their call centre here: 0800 60 10 11

Answered on July 9, 2020, 10:52 a.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.