Parents shut school to force education department to pay its bills

Construction on a much needed new school in Kariega will halt if the building company is not paid

| By

Photo of protesters

Parents closed down Noninzi Luzipho Primary School in Kariega on Monday. Photo: Thamsanqa Mbovane

About 50 parents shut down the old prefabricated Noninzi Luzipho Primary School in KwaNobuhle, Kariega (Uitenhage), on Monday morning.

They were demanding the completion of the much-needed, new R68-million construction of new Noninzi Primary in Area 10 in Gunguluza. But the school governing board (SGB) said Alex Maintenance and Electrical Services had indicated it will leave the construction site this week due to an outstanding payment from the Eastern Cape Department of Education.

The company refused to comment saying it was a matter between them and their client.

Parents, who were joined by over 900 learners in their uniforms, protested and locked the gates to the 22 prefabricated classrooms of old Noninzi Primary School.

Some teachers sang with the protesters, “Thina silwela amalungelo ethu” (We are fighting for our rights).

A teacher, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “When we teach in those prefabricated classes, big rats often pop out of the plank floors … We only have two toilets for females and one toilet for men. We always queue when we want to use our toilets which are themselves inside prefabs. Our prefabricated classrooms have holes.”

She said the windows had burglar bars making it impossible to open them. “The only air we get is when we open the door,” she said.

She said all 27 teachers at the school had had Covid-19 last year, and the principal and his deputy had died from Covid-19 (as was widely reported).

Chairperson of the SGB Aletta April said she was disappointed that the new school has been under construction since 2017. She said if the contractor was not paid they would move into the new school, even if it was incomplete.

Eastern Cape education spokesperson Malibongwe Mtima said, “The Department has had cash flow challenges in 2020 which led to late payments of invoices of contractors and implementing agents. However, the funds to complete this project have been prioritised and set aside in 2021.” Mtima said the contractor would be back on the site by 1 April.

Fikile Mbalula is going after us for R2 million. We must be doing something right. Support news that matters. Please donate to GroundUp.

Snapscan
Donate using SnapScan.
Snapscan QR code

TOPICS:  Education

Next:  Students barricade universities in Johannesburg and Gqeberha

Previous:  A Mitchells Plain mother whose sons were murdered joins march against crime

© 2021 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.