MyCiTi bus drivers released on bail

The strikers were arrested on Tuesday for defying a court order

| By
Photo of protesters
MyCiTi workers protest outside the Civic Centre during an unprotected strike that started last week. Photo: Ashraf Hendricks

Five arrested striking MyCiTi bus drivers were charged with public violence and released on R1,000 bail each on Wednesday at the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court.

Patrick Mabindisa, Luzuko Memani, Simthembile Stephens, Tembela Mahlatshana and Baxolele Mtengi appeared before magistrate M.A.F Mafanga. She postponed the matter to 9 November for further investigation.

They were arrested on Tuesday for defying a court order.

Their lawyer pleaded with the court to reduce the bail amount to R500 stating that they could not afford it. “All of them are dependent on their spouses,” she said.

Magistrate Mafanga said R1,000 was reasonable considering that the bail had been initially set at R2,000 by the court.

A large group of MyCiTi strikers gathered outside the Civic Centre, while another group attended the court hearing.

Dodgy people are suing us. Please support us by contributing to our legal costs and helping us to publish news that matters.

Snapscan
Donate using SnapScan.
Snapscan QR code

TOPICS:  Transport Unions

Next:  Khayelitsha fire victims battle to put their lives together again

Previous:  Bid to have Lonmin’s mining licence suspended

© 2018 GroundUp.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.