Minister promises land to people living on railway track
Fikile Mbalula tells community leaders he’ll be back in two weeks to show them the land
Residents of the informal settlement on the railway line in Langa told Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula on Friday that they would not move until they had been shown the land they will be moved to.
The residents spoke at an event at Brown’s Farm swimming pool in Philippi organised by the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) to inform the Minister on progress made to restore the Central Line .
Cape Town’s Central line, the busiest line serving the poorest communities, including Khayelitsha, Mitchells Plain, Nyanga and Bonteheuwel, was last operational in October 2019 when trains were suspended because of cable theft and vandalism. Since then families have set up informal settlements on the track in Langa, Philippi and Khayelitsha.
Community leaders from the three settlements said they are in agreement that service should be restored on the Central Line but they want to know when they will be moved, to where, and to see the piece of land.
The leaders also demanded that all the involved parties including the City of Cape Town, PRASA and the Department of Human Settlements bring a signed agreement as proof that they will be moved by November. They said once they knew where they would be moved to they would protect the land themselves from occupation by others.
Loyiso Nkohla, representing Langa and Philippi railway occupiers, told the Minister: “It is a failure from your office. Minister we have watched you many times announcing that by November last year people would be moved. Then you said next year in July. Now this is May 2022 and you are repeating the same announcement as last year.” He also questioned the role of the City of Cape Town.
Mbalula told the community leaders that he would come back in two weeks, hopefully with the City and the Minister of Human Settlements, to take residents to see the parcel of land that has been secured.
“We will come back with a full contract signed on dotted lines because the major complaint is that we have made a commitment that has not been fulfilled over the years,” he said.
Dodgy people are suing us. Please support us by contributing to our legal costs and helping us to publish news that matters.
Next: It’s been 15 months since the Cape High Court reserved judgment in this “emergency” housing case
© 2022 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.
We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.