Answer to a question from a reader

How do I transfer ownership of an RDP house?

The short answer

You will have to change the title deed to your name. This may involve an attorney. But perhaps it is not necessary to do the transfer.

The whole question

I would like to know how to transfer ownership of my mother's RDP house to my name. At the municipality they say I have to pay R4,500 which I don't have, as I'm not working.

The long answer

Thank you for your email asking about the cost of transferring the ownership of your mother’s RDP house to you.

The R4,500 fee which the municipality says you have to pay is probably transfer duty. This could involve a lawyer, called a conveyancing attorney, who transfers the title deed of the house from your mother’s name into your name. The title deed then has to be signed by the Registrar of Deeds and a copy must be filed at the nearest Deeds Office.

Perhaps you should consider whether it’s necessary for your mother to transfer the house to you while she is still alive, because if she leaves the house to you in her will, stating that she wants you to inherit the house on her death, you will not have to pay any transfer duty.

It would be important to check that your mother has the title deed, as that is the legal document that proves that she is the owner of the house, and of course she would need to draw up a proper will.


Answered on June 12, 2019, 10:18 a.m.

See more questions and answers