Answer to a question from a reader

How can I claim a SASSA disability grant?

The short answer

You need to hand in a medical report that confirms your disability.

The whole question

In 2017 I underwent thyroid surgery at a provincial hospital. When I took my SASSA information to the professor who operated on me to sign, he told me he was unable to help because I needed to be in a wheelchair to claim a SASSA disability grant. I have an eight-year-old daughter and I have been unemployed for the last seven years. I need the SASSA disability grant to pay for my child’s school fees. What can I do?

The long answer

If the professor at the hospital said you were not sufficiently disabled after your surgery to claim a disability grant, it is probably not an option. To claim a disability grant you need to hand in a medical report or assessment that confirms your disability, and is not more than three months old.  If you don’t agree with the professor’s assessment, you could get a second opinion / assessment from another doctor.

As you are unemployed, you should be able to claim a child support grant if you are the person who takes care of your daughter. This grant of R440 has now been increased by R300 for the month of May only, which brings it to R740. From June till October 2020 this grant will go back to R440 per child, but each caregiver will get an extra R500 till the end of October 2020.

If you are unemployed and don’t receive UIF or any other social grant (like the child grant or disability grant), you can apply for the Covid-19 Special Relief of Distress grant from SASSA. This is R350 a month to the end of October 2020.

To apply, you have to give your ID number, name and surname, gender and disability, your bank account name and number and your cell phone number. You can send this information in a WhatsApp message to 0600 123 456 and select SASSA. Or you can send an email to

If you apply by WhatsApp or email SASSA will tell you if you qualify using the same method that you used. They will pay the money into your bank account, or through “cash send” through the bank.

Answered on May 8, 2020, 12:09 p.m.

See more questions and answers