Answer to a question from a reader

Can a South African old age grant be paid out if the grantee is overseas?

The short answer

You must ask SASSA

The whole question

If a person has a old age grant in South Africa, but leaves this country to go to India, can he still get his old age grant from South Africa?

The long answer

Thank you for your email asking if a person who relocated to India could still claim his South African old age pension there.

I could find no information about this at all, but I think it is highly unlikely that a South African pension could be paid to a person not living in South Africa, given that it is a means-tested grant.

You could check with SASSA itself at this toll-free customer care line: 0800 60 10 100.

Answered on Dec. 12, 2019, 10:56 a.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.