UWC shut down

| Photos by Ashraf Hendricks
After clashes with riot police at University of the Western Cape (UWC), student protesters return to remake the blockade and stand their ground.

There was utter chaos at the University of the Western Cape (UWC) on Wednesday when riot police clashed with student protesters and used rubber bullets, stun grenades and teargas. Ashraf Hendricks documents the day-long standoff where a building was set alight, fires started and rocks thrown at police and private security. The protests were triggered by an email from the Chairperson of Council, which criticised the #FeesMustFall movement and said the protesters needed to engage with the SRC in order to have a special council meeting.

Students disperse after police fire stun grenades without warning

The protesters watch police from a cordoned off area that they built themselves.

A student adds fuel to the fire.

Protesters collect unused ammunition from the ground after clashes with private campus security. Students also managed to get hold of a riot shield. They then lob rocks at the security centre outside Kovacs Student Village.

Police arrest activist Msingathi Kula. Police were later accused of using the student as a human shield.

Riot police lined up. Without prior warning they fire rubber bullets, throw tear gas and stun grenades. This comes after protesters threw back a tear gas canister and pelted stones at police. Riot police move in and try and disperse student protesters.

A student seen through the window of a campus residence wears a mask and waves at the riot police.

Campus private security is seen trying to disperse student protesters.

Rubber bullets are fired at student protesters by the campus private security.

A student protester uses the lid of a dustbin to protect himself from rubber bullets being fired by campus private security.

Student protesters clash with campus private security.

Students eventually overpowered campus security forcing them to leave. A student is injured during the clashes

The residential services building outside Kovacs burns. Fire fighters attend to the fire.

The student protest continued into the night.

Riot police enter the Ruth First residence.

There are unconfirmed reports that police searched for specific student protesters.

Dodgy people are suing us. Please support us by contributing to our legal costs and helping us to publish news that matters.

Donate using SnapScan.
Snapscan QR code

TOPICS:  Education

Next:  Blikkiesdorp families want to move again

Previous:  Nehawu protest

© 2016 GroundUp. Creative Commons License
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.