Union slams public works programme

Workers whose contracts ended in March are demanding to be reinstated

By

NUPSAW members marched in Pretoria Central on Wednesday, demanding that Expanded Public Works Programme workers who lost their jobs in March be reinstated. Photo: Zoë Postman

  • NUPSAW members marched in Pretoria Central on Wednesday calling on government to reinstate all Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) workers who lost their jobs in March.
  • The union believes this was contradictory to President Cyril Ramaphosa’s plan to protect jobs during the lockdown.

About 100 National Union of Public Service and Allied Workers (NUPSAW) members marched from Marabastad to the Gauteng Department of Infrastructure and Development in Pretoria Central on Wednesday.

The protesters want the department to reinstate all Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) workers who lost their jobs in March, with an additional eight months back pay. They also demanded that the department set up a task team to discuss permanently employing EPWP workers.

According to the department’s website, EPWP creates job opportunities for poor and unemployed people through the delivery of public and community services. It also provides training.

In its memorandum handed to the department on Wednesday, NUPSAW said the department promised 5,000 EPWP workers they would be trained but not all of them were. Most of the EPWP workers cleaned schools and hospitals, and worked in security and administration.

“EPWP had unacceptably high operating costs and inexplicably opaque overheads. Slavery employment is created but the primary beneficiaries remain well connected, not the poor workers,” read the memorandum.

Solly Malema, national organiser of NUPSAW, said that EPWP contracts were meant to last between 12 and 18 months but there were workers who had been working for eight years.

Malema said that in March 2020, some EPWP workers received an SMS from the department stating that their employment contracts expiring on 31 March would not be renewed. He said this was contradictory to President Cyril Ramaphosa’s plan to protect jobs during the lockdown.

The memorandum was received by Ouma Ngobeni-Sipoya, Deputy Director of EPWP. She promised to respond to the union in seven days.

GroundUp is being sued after we exposed dodgy Lottery deals involving millions of rands. Please help fund our defence. You can support us via Givengain, Snapscan, EFT, PayPal or PayFast.

© 2020 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

TOPICS:  Labour unions Unemployment

Next:  Will Covid-19 vaccines bring life back to normal in 2021?

Previous:  Over 14,000 people estimated to be living on the streets of Cape Town