Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: youth  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

Is there a visa that lets someone who has a South African child stay in the country?

Unfortunately, Home Affairs does not grant visitor's visas to people who apply in terms of their minor South African children.

Read more

Is it possible to apply for an ID for the first time without a parent?

It may be possible if you can get a certified copy of their ID.

Read more

I get an error code on my birth certificate when I try to apply for tertiary education. Is there some way around this?

You will likely need a late registration of birth certificate but you can apply for a temporary ID in the meantime.

Read more

I want to escape my abusive partner and get an RDP house.

There are a few organisations that offer assistance, shelter, counselling, legal support and educational programmes

Read more

How can I ensure that my provident fund payment is divided equally between me and my seven children?

You and the mother/s will need a court order to compel the fund to do this.

Read more

Can an abandoned child get a birth certificate?

Yes, but you may need help to get Home Affairs to comply.

Read more

I am a minor. What can I do if my parent is being neglectful?

You can contact Childline South Africa. Social workers try to help parents look after their children better.

Read more

Is it possible to adopt a 16-year-old asylum seeker from the DRC?

I could not find anything to indicate that it would not be possible

Read more

Can refugee matriculants renew their permits and apply for ID this year (2021)?

Asylum/refugee status has been renewed up to 31 March 2021. You can apply for an ID.

Read more