Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: Home Affairs  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

How do I change my status from asylum seeker to resident?

A person applying for temporary residence has to apply from outside of the country, but you can get an exemption from this by applying to Home Affairs through VFS Global..

Read more

Home Affairs told me that asylum seekers cannot apply for permanent residence. Doesn't this contradict a Constitutional Court ruling?

Asylum seekers (i.e. people who do not hold refugee status) may apply for a residence permit.

Read more

Home Affairs declared my husband an undesirable person for five years because he overstayed his visit. Can this be overturned?

Your husband can appeal to the Minister of Home Affairs.

Read more

How do I get Home Affairs to give me my birth certificate?

Home Affairs says that the waiting period for an unabridged birth certificate is three to eight weeks, but many people have complained of delays of many months.

Read more