Answer to a question from a reader

Can I apply for a disability grant in one town and collect my SASSA card in another town?

The short answer

Yes, you can collect your card in another town but you must inform SASSA that you are moving and fill out a special form.

The whole question

I'm applying for a disability grant at SASSA in Gauteng.

I'm moving to the Eastern Cape and by the time the SASSA card is issued at Kempton Park, I would  already have relocated and have no one to collect the card on my behalf.

If I do all the necessary paperwork such as psychiatrist's letter and SASSA application forms, will they accept the forms in East London?

My goal is to avoid starting the entire process again.


The long answer

There is no reason that you would have to start the entire application process again, but you would need to inform SASSA in Kempton Park that you will be moving, and fill out a special form to this effect. It would then be the responsibility of the SASSA officer in Kempton Park to see that the grant, once approved, is transferred to the Eastern Cape.

It’s important that you have a receipt of your application as proof of your having applied, in case of delays, so that you can collect back pay. You are supposed to be paid from the date of application, even though it may take up to three months for them to start payments.

To check on the status of your application you can contact SASSA’s hotline at 0800 60 10 11.

If you have any difficulty with transferring your grant, you could contact the Black Sash which offers free paralegal support and advice:

Helpline: 072 663 3739


Answered on June 19, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

See more questions and answers