Answer to a question from a reader

How can I appeal SASSA's rejection of my R350 grant application? I do not have UIF money to claim.

The short answer

You can go to SASSA's SRD grant website.

The whole question

Dear Grethen

My R350 SRD grant was rejected because SASSA says I have UIF money, but I have been unemployed for a while. 

The long answer

Firstly, you need to confirm with the UIF that you are not owed any money. You can register for uFiling (which is the government website for checking and claiming UIF) here: If you are owed money, you should complete the application to claim your UIF benefits via the uFiling website. Then, once you are no longer due any more money from the UIF, you can apply for the R350 grant again. If you need help, you can phone 0800 030 007 or you can email them at

If you are not owed any UIF money, should make sure that all the information you gave SASSA is correct. You can do that here: Click "Save" when you are done. It will redirect you to the SRD DSD Appeal Electronic Platform to lodge your appeal. 

You can also appeal your application through the SRD website:

1. Go to

2. Enter your ID number and the phone number you used to submit your application.

3. Click the button that says "send pin" and follow the instructions.

You can check your appeal status using the same link as above.

Read more about the reconsideration process here: (this link will download a PDF)

You can also contact SASSA on their hotline 0800 601 011 or you can email them at

[Additional information added 21 July 2022.]

Wishing you the best,

Answered on Feb. 16, 2022, 9:21 a.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.