Answer to a question from a reader

My late father worked as a domestic worker for 11 years but was not registered. What can I do?

The short answer

All employers must register employees with the Unemployment Insurance Fund. You can report the employers to the Labour Department.

The whole question

My father was working as a caretaker and also a domestic worker in Mpumalanga for 11 years without being registered. He died there 3 months ago.  I want to know what steps  to take against his employers. 

The long answer

All employers are legally required to register the people who work for them with the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) and the South African Revenue Service (SARS) and they can be fined or sent to prison for not registering their workers.

You can report the employers to the Labour Department at this email address: [email protected]. Their general national phone number is 012 309 4000.

The UIF Toll Free number is 08600 843 845.

You could also consult Legal Aid for assistance at:

Legal Aid Advice Line (Toll-free): 0800 110 110

Legal Aid Ethics Hotline: 0800 153 728

Please-call-me number: 079 835 7179

Email: [email protected]

You will need to show them whatever documents you have to prove that your late father was employed by his employers and for what time periods. You will also need to give them his ID number and death certificate.

Answered on Oct. 10, 2019, 9:52 a.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.