Answer to a question from a reader

Can a miner's widow claim compensation for her husband's death from TB?

The whole question

A widow of a miner came to our help centre. She asked if she can claim compensation for her husband's death from TB?

The long answer

Thank you for your email attaching a letter from a miner’s widow asking about claiming compensation for her husband’s death from TB.

As a dependant of a miner who died from TB she would be eligible to claim compensation if:

1) Her husband worked underground at a Working Group Mine (African Rainbow Minerals, Anglo American, AngloGold Ashanti, Gold Fields, Harmony and Sibanye-Stillwaters) for two years from 1965 onwards

2) If he died within a year of working at least one shift at a Working Group (WG) Mine

3) If TB was the main cause of her husband’s death.

It’s not clear from her letter whether her husband was actually diagnosed with TB and had medical certification for it, but she can discuss that with the Tshiamiso Trust. This is the Trust which has been set up to investigate and pay out claims after the court settlement on 29 July 2019 between the WG mines and the lawyers representing mineworkers. The settlement covers all mineworkers from 1965 who became ill from silicosis or TB while working for the mines, and claims for compensation can be made for the next twelve years.

To start the process, she must register as a claimant:

1. She can phone the call centre at 080 1000 240 or 0800 110 110 and they will help her to fill out a register form.

2. She can send a ‘please call me’ to 072 557 8077 and the call centre will call her back.

3. She can register on the website

4. She can go to her local TEBA office and they will help her to fill out a V12 form.

Wishing you all the best

Answered on Oct. 4, 2019, 1:56 p.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.