Bromwell Street evictions: last minute reprieve

Resident expresses relief as tomorrow’s eviction postponed

| By
Photo of houses
The houses of 120-128 Bromwell Street. Photo: Rejul Bejoy

Bromwell Street tenants facing eviction have expressed relief at the last-minute reprieve granted today by landlord The Woodstock Hub. The eviction set for tomorrow was postponed to 26 September after Mayor Patricia de Lille intervened.

The houses at 120 to 128 Bromwell Street, Woodstock, were acquired by The Woodstock Hub on 30 October 2013. Tenants, some of whom had lived there for decades, were told on 30 June 2014 to leave within a month. The deadline has since been extended several times until the final deadline of 9 September.

After much campaigning from residents and activist organisation Reclaim the City against the evictions, and meetings with The Woodstock Hub this week, another extension has been granted.

In a statement this afternoon, The Woodstock Hub said the decision to delay the eviction had been taken with Mayor Patricia de Lille’s office. The company said it hoped residents would make use of the funds that had been raised “in order to find suitable alternative accommodation to ensure the safety and security of the families involved”. Last month, Jacques van Embden, director of the Woodstock Hub, proposed crowdfunding to “create a solution to assisting these families in finding residences”.

The extension to 26 September was “a last and final extension”, the company said.

De Lille’s spokesperson, Pierrinne Leukes, said: “Yesterday the Mayor appealed to the Woodstock Hub not to execute the eviction tomorrow. We are working with all the concerned parties including Ndifuna Ukwazi in order to find an amicable solution.”

Bromwell Street spokesperson and resident Charnell Commando said: “We are grateful and thankful to The Hub and the City for this extension. There is now a sense of relief, knowing that we will not be evicted tomorrow or Monday.”

Commando said residents were not insisting on staying in their properties but did not want to move away from the area. They wanted affordable housing in the vicinity, like Salt River, she said.

Fikile Mbalula is going after us for R2 million. We must be doing something right. Support news that matters. Please donate to GroundUp.

Snapscan
Donate using SnapScan.
Snapscan QR code

TOPICS:  Housing

Next:  Joe Slovo High: parents back students on fines

Previous:  Undocumented Zimbabweans detained while trying to return to their country

Write a letter in response to this article

Letters

Dear Editor

We are aware that these people must be out before the end of September 2016. There are people who have been there for decades and no one respects that. Where will they go? It is the Mayor's responsibility to make sure these people have homes to stay. No one must be evicted without an alternative, and if there is no other alternative which the city can provide, the evictions can not follow, although it is a legal eviction order. We cannot allow these things to happen over and over again. Bring this case before SERI. They have a history of stopping these kind of evictions which was successful.

© 2016 GroundUp. Creative Commons License
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.