The Nedbank Cup is the current name of South Africa’s premier club football knockout tournament. While many formats have been used over the years, the tournament has always been based on the idea of giving lower league and amateur teams a chance to compete with clubs from the top league.
GroundUp interviewed some of the players:
Shamieg McLaurie - Glendene
I personally think it’s a great opportunity for players to show their talent as the tournament gives players the chance to show what they capable of not just against amateur sides but professional sides as well. It’s also where teams like Kaizer Chiefs, Ajax, Supersport and agents also look at possible signings. I think the organisers especially of the Nedbank Cup are doing a great job developing football in South Africa.
Diego Brown - Chippa United
I think the Nedbank Cup is a great opportunity for the so called small teams to show what they have in terms of talent and ability to compete. Great exposure for these teams!
Stanton Weir - Cape Town All Stars
I think it would be a great experience for me and others that are going to play against a PSL team in a cup game. There’s going to be a lot of nerves for a few players but its going to be a good motivation for players that’s playing for the first time in a cup game and it will be great exposure for us youngsters.
Isma-eel Stanfield - Cape Town All stars
Well its a good experience for players who come from the local places where violence takes over young kids life so I would say that it’s a good experience for us players to play on a stadium against PSL players to gain experience and hopefully get spotted to play there soon.
Anridge Lakay - Vasco
Playing against Santos is always tough. It’s also a Cape Town derby so it’s going to be tougher. We are up for the challenge.
Nedbank Cup Last 32 Draw
- Mbombela United vs Vasco / Santos
- Maluti Fet Col vs Orlando Pirates
- AmaZulu vs Temba Royals FC
- Ajax Cape Town vs Mamelodi Sundowns
- Leopards vs Cape Town All Stars
- B.Celtic vs Milano United / Thanda Royal Zulu
- Unv Pretoria vs Maritzburg United
- Island FC vs FC AK / PLK City
- United FC / Roses United vs Chippa United
- Vardos FC vs Golden Arrows
- Dynamos / MP Aces vs Platinum Stars
- Bidvest Wits vs Kaizer Chiefs
- Magesi FC vs Jomo Cosmos / FC Cape Town
- Sivutsa Stars / African Warriors vs Jacksa Spears
- SuperSport United vs Moroka Swallows
- Free State Stars vs Witbank Spurs / Blackburn Rovers
Source: Nedbank Cup website
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.